It is neat because my mom and grandma say that I am so much like my dad. I have the go-getter attitude, never let a chance pass by, and do not get phased by obstacles. Also I have his 'ski-bunny' nose and build :)
Anyways, it is interesting who remembers, who knows, and who cares. My G-ma sent me an email saying about how she cannot quit thinking about how he was such a family man and well-respected. My mom called and talked briefly about it. Alyssa I know is struggling. At 8:30 a.m. I actually had to physically go see if she was alright. Sometimes this just gets frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I would go see her a million times over, but I don't want to dwell and have a pity party with it. It happened. We were all effected. But at least we had an opportunity to live and experience part of our lives with him. Think of Kinsey... she will never get to meet her G-pa K. This just tears my heart apart. She is the one that truly missed out. I have at least some memories.
Instead I like to talk about the funny times. Here are a couple of my favorites:- He would say "Run for the trees!!" I had no idea what this meant. He did it a lot and would cover one ear when doing it and squint one eye. Weird, but funny! He had the most random quotes... I get that from him :)
- How one year he decided to make a massive ice skating rink in the yard because I was obsessed with the Olympics and ice skating. It was legit!!
- He also basically retook 7th grade math 3 times with his three oldest kids. Mr. Anderson had us all stumped, so dad worked with us each night on it. When Landon came around I than retook the course.
- How about the time when I convinced him to dye his hair! It was quite an ordeal. I made him buy that hair dye and mom did it in the kitchen. I remember I was so excited that his white hair would be gone.
- Or about how the time when I asked for a treehouse and he built a massive one with windows, slip, climbing rope, balcony, and sandbox!
- Or when I wanted a pony and all of a sudden Maggie appeared!
- When I would model some clothes and I would ask what he liked and he would say.. "Just keep both." This is basically ever girl's dream :)
- Trying to teach me about no-till seeding. I was about as bright as the dirt on this one. But after a year of working with me, I went on to earn 4th place in the nation and 2nd internationally. He passed two months before knowing my results.
- Carving pumpkins was HUGE. He could carve anything that we put in front of him. And he never complained. If you saw my skills you could tell I never was a carver.. just a drawer!
- How about the time when I told him exactly what I wanted for a car -- sporty, red, sunroof, spoiler car. One day we took a family vacation and we saw it.. sport, red, spoiler, no sunroof but 6 change CD player. He bought it on the spot.
- I loved how he would take time out of farming and try to perfect his 'hook shot' in basketball. I absolutely loved it when he would do this. I still cannot do it.
- How he would tell me each year for nine years that he would just buy me a dog trophy if I would quit. See I would walk away each year in tears for losing... yes I was a nine year loser and never gave up! Each year I would say no and would become more determined... stubborn big time!
- Finally, each family vacation we took. We would fly to Houston, San Diego, Florida, or Anaheim. All stops were pulled out for these. I had the privilege to go each time and experience the magic.
So here there are some memories worth celebrating. Even though I did not have the opportunity to share important events-- proms, graduations, first job experiences, introducing him to my friends and boyfriend, sharing future laughs -- I am comforted that when he was alive I had some great times.
"It'll quit hurting when the pain goes away." -- Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment