Today I started work with the SDSU grounds crew. Here is the day's highlights:
1.) Morning Orientation
This is when we learned all about Bobcats aka skidsteer loaders, oil, mowers, gas, safety, and seatbelts. For instance, weed whackers take 50/50 oil and gas. If you don't then it will eat right threw it and Herbert will be mad. Also skidsteer loaders are like "rodeos". They will buck you around so do not get too close to the vehicles. If you do Ed will make fun of you. As for seatbelts, supposedly if you are caught without one, you will be in deep s***. Finally we swept out the shop. Reminded me of home.
2.) Afternoon
We returned from lunch at 1:00 p.m. and were told to head out and start pruning the shrubs by Biostress. I actually do not mind this. But it was down pouring. Thank you SDSU for purchasing Oompa Loompa wetsuits to keep us dry. Unfortunately the smallest size was an XXL... so we were swimming in not only the rain, but also our gear. We trimmed until 4:30p.m. until it started to lightening. I was soaked, tired, and a little cranky. Maybe we would go home early? Nope, lame, we start staring each other literally for half an hour until 5:00p.m. This was a complete waste of time.
3.) Transparency
Ed I believe already knows my secret of being clumsy or I looked completely capable of ruining something. He was talking and abruptly stopped turned to me and said "Emily, you look like you will be the first one to ruin the lawn mower."
How does he know I blew up a lawn mower engine when I was 20?! I never checked the oil and had been mowing the farm for about 4 hours. All of a sudden the mower started to jerk, a flame and boom shot out of the side. I quickly turned off the engine, jumped off and ran. When I turned around there was black smoke everywhere. My brother, Steven, was not happy to say it politely.
I did not earn my $10 for mowing that day. Sad and lame.
4.) Highlight
I got some kickin' safety glasses. I look bad a.
5.) Tomorrow
Me + Chainsaw = Massacre


No comments:
Post a Comment