
Sometimes when you least expect it some individual that you least expect will impact your life so much it takes your breath away. Coty and Bryan have been two kids that have changed my life so much that I really do not know how to describe it.... but here it goes:
Coty: Two summer ago I worked at NeSoDak, a Lutheran Outdoors Bible camp. Halfways through the summer I had not been particularly impacted by the children. Just sort of living each week like nothing special. Then, a set of 12 girl campers 6th-8th grade came. I immediately fell in love with the group. The girls were so diverse, yet seemed to bond. One night I wanted to do something special for them, so we held devotionals outside under the stars. I was expecting the girls to reflect upon the week and say their favorite part of the week was the lunches or free time. However, the girls dug much deeper. I soon had 12 girls holding each other crying and becoming closer and closer with their personal stories.
Coty's story hit home. She was only an 8th grader, yet still dealt with medical problems, death, and various other issues. Yet she had been the mother image in the group and always had a smile and encouraging word. She honestly changed my life. I now try to look at the positive in situations and still follow her gymnastics with the Huron Tigers. I wish Coty would now her profound impact on me and the other girls.
Bryan: I meet Bryan when I took my alternative spring break to Tecate, Mexico. Honestly I was going into the trip really hoping to give back to the community or world. I did not think Mexico was going to give to me.
Thirteen SDSU students, P. Bob, and Margaret Chell traveled down to Tijuana. We almost did not cross the border because of the violence, but we decided it would be in our best interest to and to learn about their life. Crossing over we spent one day at the Tijuana dump. Nothing really... then onto the Tecate orphanage. Twenty-five boys ages six to sixteen were living there. None of the boys had very many belongings.
The first night we were to sit by a boy and talk to them. The boy that chose to sit next to me was Bryan. I did not know Spanish and he did not know English. It was pathetic and there was a lot of nodding and smiling. I thought we did not connect. The next night Bryan ran up to me and hugged me and motioned to sit next to me. While at the table he showed me his comb and two marbles. "Oh that's really nice!" is all I could say. The night ended. Again the next day I sat by Bryan and the typical routine happened: smile and nodd and giggle. When saying good night he hugged me and held out his hand. He held one of his two marbles. I said I couldn't possibly take it. He however was persistant and handed it to me. I was so moved that a nine year old boy that was an orphan would be so generous to a complete stranger. I learned to be more humble and giving more than receiving is vital.
Coty and Bryan are two of the most amazing people. They have been tried and have conquered the unthinkables. Yet still manage to smile and look at life in an optimistic point of view. For this I will be forever thankful to the Lord for allowing the chance to have my path cross theirs.
No comments:
Post a Comment