Thursday, April 26, 2018

Briggs - April Wk4

Briggs,

In a matter of a week you have been a BMX biker, tropical vacationer, volcanologist, scaled trees, and hunted squirrels.  And yet when you role out of bed you are not exhausted but a chipper fella!

What's Happening
We were filling the winter blues and had a virtual luau with Aunt Mindy and the Jones gang.  You were so excited to put on your swimming suit, rash guard, lay out your beach towel on the hardwood floors, crank the heat, and eat ice cream while FaceTiming. I was so impressed that you wanted to expand the theme by putting down blue blankets for water and adding a bunny for a lifeguard.  Next you tossed in your two stuffed sharks and adorned your snorkel gear.  By far it was better than I could have imagined as you were literally leaping from the couch for joy! Or was that the ice cream?! Before I actually scoped out the ice cream you asked if I was going to serve you real ice cream or snow ice cream.  Earlier in the week I had tried to fool you by bringing in snow and putting sprinkles and chocolate syrup on it.  You ate it out of being polite but ever since you have asked specifically for 'real' ice cream.
As the weather has warmed up we finally busted outside! You have been obsessed with lava and volcanoes.  At the library you check out National Geographic books to look at the pictures and beg for us to read the stories.  We upped it notch by using vinegar, baking soda, soap, and dye to create the Jones eruption! Instead of sand we buried the bottle in a snow pile.  You were pumped to watch it foam out and insisted that you needed animal figurines and fake trees to place on the side of the volcano so the lava could cover it.
A squirrel ate your last DIY bird house, so Dad took Griff and you to Menard's to purchase a bird feeder and house.  Each day you check to see if the birds have come and feasted.  Unfortunately, we have a squirrel epidemic and they have mastered scaling the chain to the feeder.  One time you yelled for Dad to get the squirrels and he took off after the rodents with a shovel into the tree to scare them.  He scared them for only a moment, but left a lasting impression on you.  Now each morning you march out to the bird feeder with your shovel ready to scare any predators... which you actually have called them several times.  Oh my!
Sometimes you think a habit will stay at home, but each time I'm proven wrong.  Your territorial ways with squirrels have seeped into our playdates.  On Tuesday we were at a park with Palmers. You love cantaloup, a lot.  Before I knew you had grabbed the whole container, yelled you were were going to eat it on a swing but didn't want any squirrels to get it.  So you armed yourself with a stick gun and munched on the fruit while watching for squirrels.  You were quite a sight and a force to be reckoned with!
Dad and you made a bike ramp out of some old plywood.  You have had such a good time riding over it with your balance bike.  I foresee you trying to take your bike down the actual skateboarding ramps soon.  Fearless and determined. Each time Griffin goes over you exclaim, "Mom, did you see that?! Griff did it!" Absolutely melts my heart.

Working On
This week you are still trying to make it a streak for night dryness. I feel that you may be on the verge  since you wake up immediately after yelling at me... or perhaps that is me trying to find the silver lining? Today I bribed you that if you had successful several nights of dryness you could spend the night at Stacie's.  Luckily she loves you like a son.

Your counting to 20 is a delight.  1,2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, eleven-teen, 14, 19, 16, 15, 20.  I don't have the heart to tell you that eleven-teen isn't a number as it is just too darn cute.

Zingers
"I'm going to leaf blow you away!" - Said while refusing to go to bed.
"My Grandma lives on Earth too!" - Said at Stacie's while learning about Earth Day
"Does Uncle Steve wear sunscreen?" - Randomly at the dinner table
"We should bring Evan Band-Aides, water, and volcanos." - Talking about our neighbor having surgery and feeling better
"Mom, how did you get so big?" - Driving to a playdate

Prayer
Dear Lord - Thank you for giving Briggs endless amounts of energy as my mind never stops thinking of activities or adventures and he is always game for the next big thing! I pray his spirit to find the excitement in the little things never ceases and his honesty continues to shine in the future. And please help the neighborhood squirrels... Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment