Friday, October 04, 2013

Legal Trouble

Disclaimer: You better opt-in to my company's SMS plan.  Even after your read this story :)
Footnote: Inside look at my life.

I have been project managing the company wide holiday SMS plan.  The acquisition period started on Monday; therefore, the marketing started on Monday too.  At least it was supposed to start.

As the end of the day neared everything was going smoothly until I received an email from legal saying that the disclosure and footnotes (legal jargon) was incorrect and needed to be switched.  In a panic I started emailing the marketing vehicle owners to pull the SMS call-to-action message from that day's marketing.  Unfortunately, I was not able to reach one for the marketing vehicles in time. Thus started the out of control spiral.

This marketing vehicle is one that stores access and print off for their in-store promotions.  So we were able to block the material for some stores that hadn't already been printed the promotion; however, the stores that had already printed it were another story.  For the next two hours I worked with legal to write basically an apology note for the complaint center to read to upset customers, and compiled a list of all the stores that had printed off the flyers.

Just when you think that is as bad as it could get well guess again.  The cherry that top this sundae of horror was when the agency that receives the opt-ins was hacked.  Not only did I have a legal and complaint issue, but now I also had a fishing issue.  I was about ready to throw up my hands and forfeit this campaign for all the headaches it was causing.

After four days we have solved all of these problems and the text beast has been tamed.  Silver Lining: I now know the legal department and complaint center very well.  Making connections everyday even when it is in ugly circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment