Saturday, January 07, 2012

Chopped!

Check it out this television show - CHOPPED.  Basically the object is to get creative in the kitchen. I'm absolutely awesome at is cooking… psychic!  I can about count how many times I have produced a delicious, savory dish on two fingers.  Nonetheless I love watching the show with Evan.  As we watch Evan picks up on helpful tips and terms to use in the kitchen and well, I half listen half day-dream of how I could also create the show's desserts.

One evening Evan and I were watching the show featuring regular lunch ladies having a cook-off.  One of the categories is to make a dessert, and this lady made a fruit grill cheese.  She used yogurt, bread, mixed fruit, cream cheese, chocolate and nuts.  How easy is that folks?  Purify it, spread it, grill it.  BOOM, a little fruit-alicious action in the mouth.

I didn't tell Evan that I was going to try making it that weekend back home in Webster.  I just did it "Emily style."  This is also commonly translated as "I don't check my ingredients nor do I have the recipe."

When I got home Landon was sleeping and I thought - "This is IT.  I can make a lunch lady grill cheese. Easy peasy."  I started searching for my ingredients and the only ingredients that I had was cream cheese and canned pineapple.  No yogurt, but who really needs more dairy in this food of cheese of grill?!

I drank the pineapple juice and poured the fruit into the mixer with the non-softened cream cheese.  I turned on the mixer, out came some chunky cheese.  I had to re-think this.  I took a knife and cut the substances into smaller pieces and turned the mixer on again.  While it mixed I searched for bread.  NO BREAD.  This was definitely a dilemma.  However, I am a problem solver and concluded I will substitute.  Pitas!  I buttered the outside of the pita pocket because that's just what you do for grill cheese.  

By this time the mixture was ready to be stuffed in the pita pocket.  Brimming full of fun, I slapped the sandwich onto the small pan heating on the stove.  I watched my master piece as it sizzled and soon I heard Landon's voice yell from the other room, "why are you cooking sausage?!"

It was taking forever to get the pita grilled so I just took it off the stove and quickly bit into it.  Chewing slowly I tasted a unique combination: a warm, yet cold, curdy, tropical, dough flavor.

Conclusion: Do not try this at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment