The wind has blown for an eternity.
Never looking back,
Never giving in,
Never staying long,
Always running on.
Always running endless.
This is speech's introduction that I had given thousands of times. Crazy how I can still remember standing in the dining room with my mom and dad sitting in chairs coaching me when I was only 16.
Seriously I am in awe that as a sophomore I decided I wanted to pursue a speaking career. Mr. Zenk and Mrs. Ohleen told me to enter a contest because I could win at the county level. Score! So after creating a five minute speech, I went and performed at the Conservation office. I won $50! Cindy Zenk and the staff were really supportive and gave me tons of materials on CRP and shelterbelts. My next competition was District Conservation speaking. I remember sitting in the room and thinking I can win. I didn't.
I was hooked like meth. And man oh live did I get determined!!
I started to contact various organizations on wind energy, Dirty Thirties, and no-till seeding. Soon I had an eight minute speech that I was ready to fire off for anyone. I participated in RangeLand Days in Gettysburg where I won the Go-Getter category in 2004 Summer. This meant I had qualified the international competition in Salt Lake City Utah. But I still wasn't done. I went on to prepare my speech for the Fall District FFA CDE in prepared public speaking. I won in November 2004 and was going to Pierre for state competition.
This eight minute speech was memorized. Somedays my parents would have me re-do it 5 times. This was painful for me to repeat, repeat, and repeat but it gave me for amazing results. I also knew after each event I would have to answer five minutes of impromptu questions; and I needed to know my material. I still think it's weird I would sit at home on the weekend and study legislative actions involving wind turbines. Nerd symptoms were spotted early :)
It really was a family effort. Mom and dad would drive me to Murdo, Aberdeen, Watertown, and Huron for speaking engagements. Each time I gained a little more confidence. Actually on October 27, 2003 mom and dad picked me up from school and we drove to Murdo for me to talk at the state meeting for the Society for Rangement. Dad and I had a blast goofing around at our table. I really am thankful he took the time out of his harvesting schedule because three days later he passed away. From there, I decided to win for my dad.
I was determined more than ever to win a national speaking competition and I had two shots. I had a champion support system. Mr. Zenk took me under his wing and we would practice with various community members/organizations to perfect the speech. SD FFA organization were huge supporters by showing up to my speaking engagements and being there when it fell short. Kyli, Lauren, and Alaina also came to the National Convention to support me while doing the State booth. Mom would still sit and listen to me talk for hours about wind. Everyone was behind me 110%. It was an awesome feeling.
Unfortunately, I never won. I received 2nd internationally at SRM and 4th nationally at FFA. Yet, the experiences were amazing.
Competing against the best in the country, blinding lights on stage, realizing it is only YOU that can do this, talking to yourself in corners to prepare, and above all having people believe in you.
I am not going to lie and say there weren't tears and a broken heart. When I walked off stage at the National FFA Convention and had just received 4th, my heart hurt. I bawled in Mr. Zenk and Gerri Eide's arms. I had just blown my chance for a national title. But years later, I realize I did something not everyone can do. I talked on a subject I was passionate. I represented something at a young age with confidence of an aged-expert. At age 17, I had flown to Salt Lake City, preformed a speech by myself and was published in an international journal! At age 18, I had gained national respect from my peers in the FFA, represented the state of SD, and had performed my speech at the State FFA Convention in front of a packed Frost Arena. I did it without thinking twice or being afraid.
I really don't talk about my prior speaking experience anymore because well, not many people like to hear about shelterbelts (except Evan) nor do many runner-ups brag about getting 2nd :). However, today with the light wind and a nice outdoor run I had memories flooding back.
So here is my speech published in the SRM Journal. Besides horrible citing, it is pretty cool!
Ps. This is how you cite me :D
Kuecker, E. (2004, Dec.). Timeless wind. Rangelands, 26(4). 26-28. doi: 10.2111/1551 501X(2004)026[0026:TW]2.0.CO;2
No comments:
Post a Comment