Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Round 1.

I hit the pavement running this semester.  So far two of my three classes I have had.  The work is not hard this semester (knock on wood!).  The only thing that will get me is the busy work.

Also already in class I have made quite the impression with the other students.  Foot in mouth insert here.

Advanced Interpersonal Communication
I have had Liz for several classes since freshman year and know her style.  I like her style too.  So phsh, simple.  During the semester we are adopting grandparents (I know bucket list!).  She explained that the elderly from the assisted living centers in Brookings agreed to be partnered up with one student and give their personal stories.  I was stoked!! We are meeting with them 10 times during the semester for an hour each time.  After each encounter we will record their stories.  To Liz we will give a 15 page reflection paper (only 2 total during the semester) with applied theories, etc, and than at the end of semester present them in a Service Learning Fair in the Union.  To the resident, the student will compile the stories and compose a scrapbook.  Fraying the costs will be a mini grant!  Liz continued to say that the residents are excited, but old.  Like ranges from 79-100.  This is where I need to learn to hold back my word vomit.

"What happens if our resident passes away during the semester?"  To add to the fuel my lady's name is Noble Gravers.  Gravers.  Paranoid, yes.

Liz and everyone kind of skirted the question by saying that we would deal with it when the time comes.

Also in Advanced Interpersonal we are going on Secondlife.com.  It is like Avatar.  We are required to play this virtual reality game and than reflect upon the communication in the media world.  I think this is ridiculous.  But whatever.

Finally we are suppose to teach a our classmates for a session.  The only teaching I have done was kindergarten Sunday school as a sub and one day of 6th grade science.  Neither one turned out well.

Instructional Teaching Methods
Oh joy.  I think this will be a HEADACHE.  Laurie is teaching this and she is a little out there.  We are required to teach two chapters to our classmates.  I was a genius and signup for Sept 28th (on Sept 27th I teach the Advanced Interpersonal class one) in organizational communication.  Than two weeks later I teach the supplemental material chapter.

Besides this we will be making a portfolio with a syllabus, philosophy statement, micro-unit, etc.  I have never done this so again will take a bit of time.  A drawback I see in this class is that my ENTIRE CLASS IS TEACHING ASSISTANTS FOR SPEECH 101!!  Again I'm the odd duck in the class, shoot.

I am excited though to learn about teaching/ constructing a course outline, etc.  Currently I am waiting for two of my books to arrive so I can begin my reading assignments/papers for the chapters.

BROWN WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU? 
Give me my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment