I completed bucket list item #68!! In July I made beer butt chicken. I had over a house full of close friends - everywhere from Sioux Falls to Hartford to Brookings to Centerville. So I felt this needed to be GOOD. I did no prior research before jumping right in.
Food was to be ready about 8:00pm, but people I knew would start arriving around 7:30pm. Okay, so one would think since I got off work at 4:00pm I would have PLENTY of time. If you know me than you know I had saved everything until the last minute. At 4:00 I worked out with Megan until about 5:15ish. After that I ran home to quick look up a recipe (yes, I was not even smart enough to look this up beforehand :)) The recipe called for the chicken to cook for about 1.5 hours. I needed to get a move on! Off to the park to pick up Heidi's delicious taco salad and Walmart to find chickens and beer. I got back to the apartment at 6. The pressure was on!
The recipe called for me to drink off the can of beer and combine a mixture in the half empty can. As you can see above, the mixture was poured too quickly in there and a reaction occurred. Luckily I was next to the sink to stop the mess from going onto the floor! The beer I was suppose to drink I poured into a glass. For pete's sake, pounding a full beer (I needed 2 half empty cans) in a couple minutes would not be good, plus I was getting super nervous if I was going to complete this fete before people started to arrive!
Alright now to tackle the birds. I have watched a person clean a bird let alone stick my hand up the bird's butt. I felt the cold ribs and felt a sudden urge to become a vegetarian. But I did it. I did take a swig out of my beer glass. I took out the packaged guts and organs and managed to put a 1/4 onion in each chicken.
Now the timer was set for 1.5 hours and only an hour before people started coming, so I needed to shower, clean the apartment, make potatoes & onions, and set the table. Never underestimate my ability to get a job done; however, do not expect me to look like a superstar... something has to give :)Anyways, check me out taking out the birds. They smelled, looked, and tasted amazing!!!
Everyone brought something to share! Here is a picture of the potatoes & onions, bean yummy dip from Mannie and Carl, and the chicken (you can see the beer can sticking out of the butt).
A huge thanks to my amazing friends - Heidi, Dan, Evan, Mannie, Carl, Kevin, Nick, Dave K., Alyssa, Jen, Melissa, and Kevin's friend for helping me fulfill one of my bucket list items!!! It meant a ton to have the support and not laughing at me when I set off the smoke detector. Who knows maybe I can do a Thanksgiving dinner in the future. Now that would be EPIC!
Directions
1.) Preheat an outdoor grill for low heat
--- Preheat oven to 350*
2.) In a small skillet, melt 1/2 c. butter. Mix in 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 tablespoon paprika, salt and pepper.
3.) Discard 1/2 the beer, leaving the remainder in the can. Add remaining butter, garlic salt, paprika, and desired amount of salt and pepper to beer can. Place can on a disposable baking sheet. Set chicken on can, inserting can into the cavity of the chicken. (I put a 1/2 onion in first to stabilize it). Baste chicken with the melted, seasoned butter.
4.) Place baking sheet with beer and chicken on the prepared grill. Cook over low heat for 3 hours if on the grill, or until the temperature of the chicken is 180*. If the chicken is done in the stove cook for 1.5 hours.
Ingredients
1 c. butter
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons paprika
salt & pepper to taste
1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
1 (4 pound) whole chicken
Directions
1.) Preheat an outdoor grill for low heat
--- Preheat oven to 350*
2.) In a small skillet, melt 1/2 c. butter. Mix in 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 tablespoon paprika, salt and pepper.
3.) Discard 1/2 the beer, leaving the remainder in the can. Add remaining butter, garlic salt, paprika, and desired amount of salt and pepper to beer can. Place can on a disposable baking sheet. Set chicken on can, inserting can into the cavity of the chicken. (I put a 1/2 onion in first to stabilize it). Baste chicken with the melted, seasoned butter.
4.) Place baking sheet with beer and chicken on the prepared grill. Cook over low heat for 3 hours if on the grill, or until the temperature of the chicken is 180*. If the chicken is done in the stove cook for 1.5 hours.

No comments:
Post a Comment