Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bust a Move

Setup:  At SDSU motor pool with Robyn weed whacking.  This is a job I would never curse upon anyone.

We were going along just fine and just finishing up when I heard Robyn yelling at me and pointing in the direction of our work pickup.  I looked up and saw a dreadful sight -- a rock at flung into the back windshield and had left a spiderweb effect.  The glass was going to crumble at any second.

Like any normal person would do, my first instinct was to put down my weed whacker immediately and run flailing my arms in the arm to the nearest person.  Unfortunately I encountered a real brainy person (a football player).  He came over, analyzed the window and said "yep it's broken.  You better tell your boss."  Thanks genius.  Ugh!

So we headed back to the shop.  Robyn told the boss because it was her fault and also because she knew I would get in more trouble if I had done it.

After reporting the incident, we were sent back out to weed whack by Berg/Bailey.  No big deal, right?  No rocks in the grass, right?  A person can't break two windows within a 3 hour period, right?  WRONG, wrong, WRONG!

I was going along by the bike rack and for some reason I glanced up.  I had shattered a huge entrance window.  I shut off my weed whacker and just stared.  Within seconds a guy walked out of the building and point blank said "YOU DID THAT!"  I just wanted to fall into a hole.  Darn, the boss was going to kill me.  So I did the most logical thing.  I agreed, apologized, and went and sat in the truck until Robyn noticed me.

When I returned to the shop the boss gave me an ear full.  The best line he told me was "what were you weed whacking?  It definitely wasn't grass?  Must have been a gravel pit."

Let's just conclude this story with saying my typical 7 different jobs I do at SDSU grounds has now been reduced to 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment