Friday, April 16, 2010

Out in Right Field.

I had a softball game yesterday and it was windy. South Dakota when are you going to quit blowing? No pun intended. Anyways, during the game a gate in right field blew open. The announcer leaned over and told me to go shut it. Being the little gopher that I am, I scurried off to fix the situation.

Upon getting to the gate, which involved walking all the way around on the outside of the field, I shut the gate. I thought it was weird the latch was kind of stuck, but it was shut so I started my trek back to press row.

I had about 15 feet to my seat when in front of the entire crowd the announcer yelled (not in the mic) "Emily, the gate is open again.... why don't you just stand out there." Well obviously he was joking... right? I did the whole hand on the hip attitude thing and turned around to walk back to right field.

When I got there I knew I was in trouble. There was no way the gate was going to stay closed. The latch was like unmovable and there nothing to stick behind the doors either. So I stood there. Everyone could see me. I was getting so upset because I looked like a fool! I called Blake and he was just laughing hysterically.

Blake: "Emily you know everyone can see you right? And he didn't literally mean for you to stand out there..."
Me: "Shut up Blake... I need some help."
Blake: "Yeah I'll send Shawn."

Shawn is Shawn. Complete goof. When he came out he had this dumb grin on his face and was giving me grief. He told me to get some tires. So off we went to get 5 tires from a pile behind the dugout. Keep in mind I am completely visible to EVERYONE. We roll/carry them back to right field and there is a surprise. The maintance man showed up. REALLY!? He strung a chain through fence to keep it shut. Turns out the latch was broken and the pole that was suppose to go into the ground was broken.

After thanking them, I started back to press row with the five tires. When I reached there I was hackled by not only the press people, Blake, announcer, but also the crowd. I felt like an idiot...
So yes, I was that girl out in right field hanging out behind the see through fence.

But what I learned was that I should probably never do maintance.

No comments:

Post a Comment