
Some people say it's impossible. Some say it cannot be done. Some say it is ridiculous. Some just stare. I like to prove them wrong and just smile. It is not to show them up, nor to make one look silly for the doubts, but is for my own gratification that I can do something I put my mind to. I have two great life experiences that have made me realized that 1.) It will eventually happen... maybe not in the way you thought, but it will come and 2.) It doesn't matter if you finish last, as long as you finish.
My first one is about dog training. I was in 4H for 11 years and showed dog for nine. Each year I set my eye on the dog trophy. Royal (my black lab) and I would go to practice in town twice a week and practice at home each day. Sometimes at practice snow was still on the ground so I would wear snowpants, and boats... other times Royal had too much energy and would bolt. I would be too afraid to let go of the leash in fear I would never see him again. I hung on and got scrapped up each time. At home for practice I had a stopwatch that would monitor my time for the long sit/down. Three minutes of torcher to watch you dog sniff the air and start edging towards you.. if he broke I was out the runnings for the trophy. Well each year, he did. How embarrassing!!
One year though Royal at age 9, arthritis and all decided to lay and sit, come when called and do everything perfectly! It was one of my proudest moments. Vivian, my dog coach, hugged me and the parents that had watched me for 9 years struggle high fived and hugged. Amazing :)
In November, about three weeks after my dad's death and two after Royal's death, I was handed over the trophy. The previous eight ceremonies I had sat through I would walk away with tears in the eyes and my dad saying he would just buy me a trophy to make me happy. I refused. I don't like to be handed things over. This year it was different. I had earned it! Nine years of embarrassment, of trials, and a best friend by my side... I would never have traded a moment.
My second experience involves cross country. About one week before cross country practice would begin in Webster, I was hanging out in the Mike's Jack & Jill parking lot. For some reason, the topic was switched to cross country and how Kyli was going out for it. I had never ran other than for my own pleasure and had no training in running, but for some reason I got excited and said I would join too! Yep so out of shape and having the attitude it would be easy, I went out for it.
The first practice killed me. Second, third, fourth... well you get the idea.. I wasn't good!! But I refused to quit. And the day Mrs. McCreary drove up next to me while running the four mile route in her mini van and asked me if I was interested in the statistician position, I knew I couldn't back down now. I ran every race, and throughout time I became better. Definitely not good, but better. The Webster parents at the meets would run beside me cheering me on. At the end of the season I had ran varsity and had even placed in a couple of meets, and received most improved.
Cross taught me the importance to suffer through the embarrassment, pain, and ugly and look at the positive. I did it. Not many people have. I learned a new healthy lifestyle and have developed great friends from running at the high school level, collegiate level, and recreational. Thank you Kyli and Mrs. McCreary for believing in me. Barb, Kyle, Jenny and Reid for the inspiration on the recreational level. And Heidi for some entertainment ;P
No comments:
Post a Comment